A simple recipe to make and the key is to incorporate air. So beating voluminous egg whites and sifting flour and icing sugar are steps that can’t be missed 🙂
I’ve modified the original recipe a little:
– 3 tbsp Ap flour (didn’t have cake flour)
– 2 large eggs
– 1 c almond flour (got mine at Trader’s Joe)
– 1/2 c icing sugar
– 2 egg whites (used liquid egg whites)
– 1/8 tsp cream of tartar (skip. didn’t have it. This is to stabilize the egg whites in the whipping process)
– 1/8 tsp salt
– 1 tbsp of sugar
– 2 tbsp melted butter ( replaced with olive oil)
1. Preheat oven at 400, found 425 is too high and the cupcakes were burnt in 5 min
2. Grease muffin tins and set aside
3. To minimize the washing, beat egg whites first to stiff peak adding the tablespoon of sugar and 1/8 tsp of salt to create a nice shiny stiff peak.
4. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until it forms ribbon. Sift and fold in almond flour, flour and icing sugar.
It is important not to over mix the batter.
5. Gently fold in the egg whites follow by the melted butter or oil.
6. Pour/ scoop into muffin tin and bake for 8-10 min. Test for doness – insert toothpick should come out clean or touch top of cupcake it should spring back, smells good, looks golden.
Source: Opera cake recipe on epicurious
Take the cupcakes and dip into melted chocolate (with cream) and chopped hazelnut (from traders joe). ~ta-da